Carondelet Center is handicap-accessible on all levels. We offer ample free parking in our expanded lot next to the building.
The Sisters of St. Joseph were founded in Le Puy, France, on October 15, 1650. The first Sisters divided the city and went among the people to do what was needed.
In 1836, six Sisters left France and came to Carondelet, Missouri. From there, the Sisters of St. Joseph were established in many areas of the United States.
Four Sisters traveled up the Mississippi River and arrived in St. Paul, Minnesota, on November 3, 1851. Again, they did what needed to be done. They taught immigrants and Native American children, and provided health care during a cholera epidemic.
Eventually, the Sisters opened more than 100 institutions for education and health care in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
Today, the Sisters of St. Joseph ministries in education, health care, social service and spirituality continue to respond to the needs of the times. CSJ ministries teach English as a second language, help women in transition, provide health care for the uninsured and offer spiritual direction.
~ The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet History &
Carondelet Center Timeline ~
Timeline: Maryann Reynolds
~ Carondelet Center's Legacy
Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
St. Paul Province ~
~Sisters St. John Ireland, Seraphine Ireland,
and Sister Celestine Howard, St. Paul, MN
~The Chapel of St. Paul ~ also served as a
school and hospital
~ Carondelet Center as the Novitiate
for the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
~ The Holy Family Chapel
for the Sisters of St. Joseph
of Carondelet novices
Photos: Mary Kraft CSJ, Archives CSJ